[kde-linux] Update to 6.10

Andrew Walbran qwandor at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 10:32:21 UTC 2007

On Friday 12 January 2007 11:16 pm, Richard E. Barmann wrote:
> I have been trying to update to Ver. 6.10 for over a week. I tried running
> linux and inserting my .iso dvd that I downloaded and burned. I tried going
> to "gksu "update-manager -c"" and I get
> --------------
> There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The
> message returned by the system was:
> Could not read network connection list.
> /root/DCOPserver_dick-desktop_0
> Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running/
> -----------------
> I am able to download /install the upgrades shown in the update manger ie:
> firefox, Opera, Openoffice, updates but not he 6.10 upgrade. I also cannot
> connect to the 2 URL,s (wiki.ubuntu.com/ etc and Launchpad.net/) that are
> shown in update manager.
> My file in root reads "/root/.DCOPserver_dick-desktop_NODISPLAY"
> Please help as I want to update without losing my files (which would happen
> if I did an install)

Assuming that
a) You are running Kubuntu 6.06
b) You want to upgrade to Kubuntu 6.10
Have you tried the instructions at
http://kubuntu.org/announcements/6.10-release.php (near the end, with the
heading 'Upgrading from 6.06 LTS')? Make sure to include the apt-cdrom step
to use your DVD, otherwise it will download everything again. Also, I would
be inclined to use aptitude in place of apt-get, as it handles dependencies
better.

This question really belongs on the Kubuntu mailing lists rather than
kde-linux, as it is a distribution issue.

--
Andrew Walbran
website: http://q.geek.nz/