[kde-linux] KDE + Time Zones + Daylight-saving-time

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Sun Feb 25 18:56:48 UTC 2007

On Sunday 25 February 2007 14:00:41 Randy Kramer wrote:
> This is at least a little bit of a digression, but I'm not planning on
> chasing down the new correct timezone file for my Mandriva2006 system.
> (Possibly it already has the correct one?)
>
> What I am planning to do is, on the day I find that we've changed to DST
> (EDT), I'll simply adjust the clock appropriately.
>
> Will this cause me a lot of grief (assuming time on my system isn't all
> that important)?
>
> I guess one thing I'll have to be ready for is another time change by the
> system on the day of the original time zone change?
>
> Hmm, and I guess, since my system (and hardware) clock(s) AFAIK run on GMT,
> GMT will somehow be off by 1 hour during that time period.  (From the date
> of the new change to the date of the old change.)  Not ideal, but I think I
> can live with that.
>
> If there was a place I could simply download one file for my local timezone
> (USA: New York), but I looked (a few weeks ago) for the Mandriva2007 rpm
> for all the timezones, and, in any case, I'm leery of installing anything
> not meant for Mandriva2006.

You should already have a time zone file for New York on your system
(probably /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York, although you shouldn't need
to know the actual file name in order to set your time zone). It should be
easier just to use the New York setting than to mess around with setting
times manually.

--
David Jarvie.