[kde-linux] KDE + Time Zones + Daylight-saving-time

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 14:00:41 UTC 2007

On Sunday 25 February 2007 08:42 am, David Jarvie wrote:
> On Friday 23 February 2007 17:43:19 Alain M. wrote:
> > What I am looking for is where KDE has the information of which file to
> > copy for each timezone. KDE's list of timezones is not that one, it has
> > a icon (flag) comments and a link to the file to copy...
>
> The file zone.tab in the zoneinfo directory contains a list of all the
> zoneinfo time zone definition files, including which country they relate to.
> KDE presumably uses that information to display flags and comments.

This is at least a little bit of a digression, but I'm not planning on chasing
down the new correct timezone file for my Mandriva2006 system.  (Possibly it
already has the correct one?)

What I am planning to do is, on the day I find that we've changed to DST
(EDT), I'll simply adjust the clock appropriately.

Will this cause me a lot of grief (assuming time on my system isn't all that
important)?

I guess one thing I'll have to be ready for is another time change by the
system on the day of the original time zone change?

Hmm, and I guess, since my system (and hardware) clock(s) AFAIK run on GMT,
GMT will somehow be off by 1 hour during that time period.  (From the date of
the new change to the date of the old change.)  Not ideal, but I think I can
live with that.

If there was a place I could simply download one file for my local timezone
(USA: New York), but I looked (a few weeks ago) for the Mandriva2007 rpm for
all the timezones, and, in any case, I'm leery of installing anything not
meant for Mandriva2006.

Randy Kramer