[kde-linux] internet very slow with konqueror

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Feb 23 20:01:35 UTC 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007 16:44, Werner Joss wrote:
> Am Freitag, 23. Februar 2007 15:56 schrieben Sie:
> > Hi,
> >
> > my internet connection is actually _very_ slow (pages take ages to load
> > and I often have to reload them several times because of 404 errors). I
> > suspect konqueror or some lower kde module to be responsible because
> > other applications like wget or apt-get generally work fine around
> > 300k/s, but I know nothing about networks so I might be wrong. If I try
> > to download a big file from a web page, it takes a long time to start
> > (and sometimes fails) but once it's started the dl speed is reasonable.
> > Even more frustrating, everything work fine with IE under windows :)
> >
> > I'm using Konqueror 3.5.5 on an up to date Debian Sid.
> >
> > Any suggestion welcome...
>
> this sounds like the so called 'IPV6 problem' - you might try to disable
> ipv6 support, there should be an env variable KDE_USE_IPV6="no" to be set
> somewhere in your system configuration. google for 'konqueror kde ipv6'
> should also give you some hints.

And something else that really improves loading of pages with several parts
(lots of images, etc) is to run nscd

/etc/init.d/nscd start

This is name caching daemon of the system itself, also _very_ helpful if one
does user management and authentifaction through LDAP, since this avoids most
of the LDAP calls.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring