[kde-linux] DCOP missing after Etch upgrade

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 15:36:46 UTC 2007

Kevin Krammer wrote on Mon, 19 Feb 2007

Monday 19 February 2007 10:27, john gennard wrote:

>> I have very recently installed Debian Etch (kernel 2.6.18-3-686)
>> on three boxes. I used the CD1-Kde available about nine days
>> ago and upgraded two boxes six days ago. One box upgraded
>> perfectly whilst the other did not allow Kde to fully launch
>> and provided the following error message:-

> What system did you upgrade from? A previous Etch or Sarge?

The Etch installs from Cd were made into clean and formatted
partitions. Then these installs were updated and upgraded as
the Cd was about nine days old.

>> Can anyone help me to get over this problem please? A simple
>> explanation of how DCOP works and is called may also help me.

> Usually, on a clean KDE start, there are one file starting with
> .DCOP and a symlink starting with the same prefix in the user's
> home directory.

There is no .DCOP file in my home directory on the box that has
the problem. I'm very inexperienced, but I've ascertained that
'kdelibs4c2a' has installed the same files on the box that works and
the box that doesn't. 'ls -ld /tmp' shows a difference as follows:-

working box-  			drwxrwxrwt 7  root  root 4096
box which doen't work-		drwxrwxrwt 6  root  root 4096

(my laptop also works and returns the same as the working box)

Is this a missing hard link?

> The file contains information how to contact the DCOP server, a
> process started during KDE startup (by the kdeinit process)

> You could try this:-
> in case you are using KDM (or any other graphical login), change
 > to a different type of login, e.g. failsafe

> Then, in this other session, in a terminal, type:-

> kdeinit

I only have 'single user mode' and I don't seem able to get a
terminal there, only a prompt.

> This should start the minimum KDE environment and output errors if
> it can't

John.