[kde-linux] How do I set the default sound card?

Ronny Standtke Ronny.Standtke at gmx.net
Mon Feb 19 19:26:18 UTC 2007

Hi again,

There is an improvement to the workaround I was just made aware of. Instead of
hardcoding the soundcard order it is possible to specify the _name_ of a
soundcard in the KDE control center.

Open a terminal and execute:
--------------
$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [I82801DBICH4   ]: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
                      Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1980 at 0xeb000000, irq 217
 1 [U0x46d0x8ce    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x8ce
                      USB Device 0x46d:0x8ce at usb-0000:00:1d.7-2, high speed
 2 [Headset        ]: USB-Audio - Logitech USB Headset
                      Logitech Logitech USB Headset at usb-0000:00:1d.1-2,
full speed
--------------

The soundcard names are in the square brackets. If e.g. the headset should be
the default sound device you must choose "Advanced Linux Sound Architecture"
in the audio device combobox of the KDE control center sound system
configuration module, activate the "Override device location" checkbox and
insert "hw:Headset" into the correspondig textfield.

This way normal users don't need to edit system configuration files. But there
is still no fallback mechanism and it is really a pity that users have to
resort to the command line to select their soundcard in the KDE control
center.

Greetings

Ronny Standtke