[kde-linux] DCOP missing after Etch upgrade

Peter Humphrey prh at gotadsl.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 12:11:02 UTC 2007

On Monday 19 February 2007 09:27:24 john gennard wrote:

> There was an error setting up inter-process communications for
> Kde. The message returned by the system was:-
> 	"Could not read network connection list
> 	/home/johm/.DCOPserver_leary.clara.co.uk__0
> 	Please check the the dcop server program is running"

I got this yesterday when I finished installing a new system and restored a
user's home directory. I fixed it by moving /home/user to /home/user.old,
creating the user afresh and copying into the new /home/user only the files
known to be needed - word-processor files and so on. That fixed it.

Of course, it may be more difficult if you want to copy some more arcane
things, but at least kmail can now import its own mail structures from a

Rgds
Peter