[kde-linux] DCOP missing after Etch upgrade

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 09:27:24 UTC 2007

I have very recently installed Debian Etch (kernel 2.6.18-3-686)
on three boxes. I used the CD1-Kde available about nine days
ago and upgraded two boxes six days ago. One box upgraded
perfectly whilst the other did not allow Kde to fully launch
and provided the following error message:-

------------
There was an error setting up inter-process communications for
Kde. The message returned by the system was:-
	"Could not read network connection list
	/home/johm/.DCOPserver_leary.clara.co.uk__0
	Please check the the dcop server program is running"
------------

Subsequently, I've upgraded both box up tp late last night.
One works perfectly whilst the other (actually my main box)
still returns the same error message and leaves Kde unlauched.

I've googled and asked questions about DCOP and frankly am too
lacking in basic computer knowledge to understand fully what
it is. The server is not running, and there is no .DCOP etc
file in my home directory. I've been unable to find out which
package provides DCOP.

The upgradings have total 100Mb downloads and the vast majority
of this has been Kde packages.

Can anyone help me to get over this problem please? A simple
explanation of how DCOP works and is called may also help me.

Regards,

John.
of how