[kde-linux] konqueror settings lost when I reboot

Rod Butcher rbutcher at hyenainternet.com
Mon Feb 19 08:25:29 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 04:27 -0600, Dale wrote:
> Rod Butcher wrote:
> > I recompiled KDE from the 3.5.6 souces and it worked great until I
> > rebooted. Then I discovered that Konqueror won't recognise .html as a
> > file type it supports and attempts to load some other program to handle
> > the web page. Also all the internet-related settings such as fonts are
> > not available under settings -> configure Konqueror. So what is being
> > lost when I reboot ? If I recompile the kdebase package all the
> > konqueror settings become active again but disappear when I reboot.
> > Where are these settings stored ?
> > thanks
> > Rod

> It sounds like a config file got updated and when you rebooted, it
> loaded the new settings.  I'm not sure about your distro but I always
> keep a back up of my configs just in case.  I have not ran into this
> before though.
>
> You may can fix some of this by checking your file associations.  You
> should have a little thing that looks like a wrench in there somewhere,
> then look for File Associations under KDE Components.  You can then tell
> it to use Konqueror to open html files.  I hope I understood the problem
Thanks, yes that fixed it. I used the control panel -> KDE components ->
file associations to move konqueror up into first choice for
displaying .html.
Either the upgrade to 3.5.6 had changed this, or konqueror 3.5.5 did not
need to be set first, because it had worked before without me adjusting
anything i.e. if I was in file browser mode and clicked on a .html page
on my disk, konqueror would open it as a webpage automatically.
thanks
Rod