[kde-linux] kcron and mailto

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Feb 9 10:00:54 UTC 2007

On Friday 09 February 2007 09:31, John Andersen wrote:
> On Thursday 08 February 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 February 2007 09:03, John Andersen wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 07 February 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >
> > While we're on the subject, can you please explain the logic behind the
> > different entries - crontab1 and crontab5?  I'm sure the organisation is
> > not random.
> >
> > Anne
>
> man man        You had to see that coming didn't ya?  ;-)

Should have :-)

> The sections into which man pages are placed is dictated by
> the info documented in the manpage for man.
>
> So the command man 1 crontab  gives info on the program and its
> usage, and man 5 crontab gives info on the crontab file format.

I've been using linux for several years and never caught that :-)  I had read
man:cron - but that was just cron1.  It wasn't until you message made me
realise that I was missing an entry that it all made sense.

I was expecting the change I made to come into effect yesterday teatime, but
maybe the user wasn't around then.  Hopefully I'll see the result today.

Thanks for the help