[kde-linux] sound sharing

Richard Pace rpace at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 6 22:11:14 UTC 2007

Hi:
Went from SuSE 9.3 with KDE 3.5.2? (maybe; 3.5 something anyway) to SuSE 10.2
KDE 3.5.5.  Different hardware also.  Old hardware was an old Compaq AP 200
and I don't remember the sound card type.  New hardware is HP Pavilion Athlon
Dual core.

My sound will not share.  That is, if I run Realplayer to stream radio, no KDE
notifications will sound.  If I stop Realplayer, then KDE notification will
sound.

I have a MCP51 High Definition Audio card.
KDE is configured with ALSA, full duplex (same problem with full duplex off).
I have tried other options in KDE: autodetect, same problem; OSS, only KDE
sound works (no sound with Realplayer); Jack, no sound.

KMIX shows only 1 PCM device.  Under 9.3 KDE 3.5.? there were 2 PCM devices,
and KDE volume was controlled by one and Realplayer volume, when running, by
the other.

I'll check the SuSE list, but welcome any suggestions here.
--
Regards,
Richard