[kde-linux] Viewing Network Folders

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Feb 1 12:01:50 UTC 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 17:52, Boyan Tabakov wrote:
> On 29.1.2007 16:43:25 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I use the Network Folders taskbar icon for viewing samba shares.  Just
> > one box is having problems with this.  If I click on the icon and select
> > samba shares it gets as far as smb:/ then tells me that it can't find any
> > network.  If I manually edit the address to smb://server.lydgate.lan it
> > immediately can see all the shares.
> >
> > I assume that a config file somewhere has become damaged.  Can you tell
> > me where to look?  Thanks
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hi, Anne,
>
> Make sure that nmbd is running. I had a similar problem only to find out
> that I hadn't started all the things I needed. Other than this, the config
> file for both smbd and nmbd should be /etc/samba/smb.conf, or something
> similar. There you can configure on what interfaces should the servers
> listen, etc. There is a gui kcontrol module for that (Control Center ->
> Internet & Network -> Samba), but some things (especially user rights
> assignment) didn't work for me from there.

nmbd is running.  It looks as though chameleon is not on the same network as
the rest of us - definitely a change, as it used to be seen easily from this
box, and isn't any more.  I've checked smb.conf, and even pasted in the
global section from this box, to give a known working configuration.

The workgroup name is correct.  testparm shows no errors.  I've checked
smbusers and smbpasswd.  No problems at all show up.  Etherape can see
chameleon.

Cabling must be OK, as I can send mail using the lan address.