[kde-linux] K Menu->Log Out->Restart through command-line?

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sun Dec 30 06:14:52 UTC 2007

On 2007/12/30 00:30 (GMT-0500) James Loughner apparently typed:

> daniel åkerud wrote:

>> How can I do a KDE "restart" (Found through K Menu->Log Out->Restart)
>> from the command-line? I figured a regular "reboot" is bad, since
>> sessions et al is not saved, and programs are probably more abruptly
>> closed.

> To stop or start a GUI session:
> Go to a terminal normally ctrl-alt-F1 will do
> log on as root
> type init 3
> this normally will shutdown the GUI
> type init 5
> this will restart the GUI
> Log out as root
> type exit

> I said normally above since I don't know what distro and though most
> will follow the init level rules there is no  absolute....

Init 3/init 5 doesn't work on most Debians, which don't do anything different
in runlevels 2-5. '/etc/rc.d/kdm restart' as root or with sudo should get the
job done though on both Debians and non-Debians.
--
Jesus Christ, the reason for the season.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409