[kde-linux] Window Borders Have Dissapeared

Steve O'Neill soneill at netaxs.com
Mon Dec 17 19:58:58 UTC 2007

I've been bringing up the 2007 version of PCLinuxOS, and using KDE as my
desktop manager. Until today, it ran fine.  However, when I started up this
morning, I discovered that three things about the UI are screwed up:

1. My multiple desktops have dissapeared from the kicker panel. Something set
the number back to 1;

2. None of the windows that I open has borders.  Needless to say, that makes
it a bit difficult to move the windows, and;

3. All the windows I open seem to want to open up in the lower right corner.
Because I can't move the windows, it's become impossible to use the Control
Center to modify any of the window properties or set up more than one desktop.

I'm running ver. 3.5.8 of KDE, and the above problems are global; no matter
whether I start up as myself, another user, or even root, the same window
problems occur.  I suspect that some system-wide configuration file(s) got
messed up when I installed one  package or the other yesterday, but I have no
idea which file(s) it is.

Can someone give me a hint how I might go about fixing this before I go to the
extreme of reinstalling everything?  TIA for any help you can provide.

Steve O'Neill