[kde-linux] Why is gvim ONLY app which does not behave?

Joerg Stadermann jstadermann at gmxpro.de
Fri Aug 31 09:07:28 UTC 2007

On Freitag 31 August 2007, Bernard Barton wrote:
> I just upgraded to Fedora 7, with KDE 3.5.7.  Everything looks
> great EXCEPT for gvim!  This includes all of the GTK based apps
> I've run. But gvim would not maximize correctly until I in the
> KDE Control Center under "Window behavior" I checked "Allow
> moving and resizing of maximized windows".  Now I can maximize
> the window, but it's larger than the screen area.  Good grief.
> Before checking this option, If I tried to maximize gvim,
> it would just bounce back to about 85% maximized position.  I
> also tried to set the geometry in gvim's window menu in the
> "Special window settings" dialog, but still the window would
> not maximize.  Anyone have any idea why gvim doesn't want to
> play nicely with KDE?
>
> -Thanks

Bah, wimps. Real vim/gvim users dont need to resize windows. We
set the size in .gvimrc and that's it. No stinkin' maximizing for
us ;-)

No, seriously, vim is a wonderfull app, but it does many things in
it's own way, one of the reasons, why the vimpart never really
worked or why kvim was stopped. I guess your version of gvim does
not fully comply with the freedesktop.org window spec. As
somebody mentioned in this thread, version 7.1.93 (the latest
version) doesn't seem to have this problem. I'm using 7.1.12 on
kde 3.5.7 and I have the same behaviour as David has.

Joerg