[kde-linux] Why is gvim ONLY app which does not behave?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Aug 31 08:02:28 UTC 2007

sc wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 06:02:58PM -0400, Bernard Barton wrote:
>> I just upgraded to Fedora 7, with KDE 3.5.7.  Everything looks great
>> EXCEPT for gvim!  This includes all of the GTK based apps I've run.
>> But gvim would not maximize correctly until I in the KDE Control Center
>> under "Window behavior" I checked "Allow moving and resizing of maximized
>> windows".  Now I can maximize the window, but it's larger than the screen
>> area.  Good grief.  Before checking this option, If I tried to maximize
>> gvim,
>> it would just bounce back to about 85% maximized position.  I also tried to
>> set the geometry in gvim's window menu in the "Special window settings"
>> dialog, but still the window would not maximize.  Anyone have any idea
>> why gvim doesn't want to play nicely with KDE?
>
> i doubt it's kde's fault -- i am using kde on suse 10.2 and
> gvim acts just like it's supposed to (my vim is version
> 7.1.93)
>
> my kde is 3.5.something, where i *think* the something is 5
> (i'm not sure how to tell)

Well, here on KDE 3.5.7, when I fired up GVIM for the first time, I had
no trouble MAZIMIZING it - but it would not UNMAXIMIZE. I noticed that
when it was maximized, there as no little X indicator in front of the
Mazimize option the way there was when I mazimized Firefox. FF
unmaximized with no problems ...

Sounds like GVIM.

--
David