[kde-linux] k3b creates unreadable data DVD

Rod Butcher rbutcher at hyenainternet.com
Mon Aug 13 11:13:50 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 10:00 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 11 Aug 2007, Rod Butcher wrote:
> > I finally caught up with the 21st century and upgraded from a CD to a
> > DVD burner. I burned a data DVD but I can't read what's on it - the
> > directory structures are all there, and all the files taking up the
> > correct amount of space, but I get an error trying to read the files on
> > the DVD. Using the same k3b settings I can create and read back data CDs
> > fine.
> Do you use k3b's verify settings as default?  I've found that some marginal
> burns act as you describe, but if you verify you don't seem to come up
> against this.  I've rarely found one that didn't verify, but just
> occasionally.....
I couldn't find any "verify" setting... what I did find was that the
"Success" display doesn't always mean what it says... I discovered that
I hadn't noticed an error message that it couldn't recognise one of the
files I'd asked it to copy to the DVD, and the whole burn process had in
fact then failed. After I deleted the bad file the whole burn process
worked fine. But I'm left with 2 issues :-
1. why couldn't it copy the file (a pdf document that I can display OK
with kpdf). This in itself is not a killer, the real problem is how do I
get k3b to check this out before it starts burning, so I don't waste a
disk ?
2. Why does it display Success ! when the burn has failed ?
thanks
Rod