[kde-linux] KDE-menu: open sub-menus on click only

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Wed Aug 8 10:55:22 UTC 2007

On Wednesday, 8. August 2007, david wrote:
> OS/2's Smart Center was different, though - it was a menu of items on
> your desktop, not a separately-maintained list of shortcuts like WinDOS
> and KDE/Gnome use ...

I agree. There were several very good ideas in the smartcenter and the
Workplaceshell. KDE is probably the desktop were I feel that some ideas might
has given inspiration, and the Workplaceshell is now a bit old, but I'd wish
IBM would release OS/2 to the comunity and someone would develop a modern
Workplaceshell. I still fire up an old machine with eComStation from time to
time, just for the "good old feeling" :)

> Interesting - how did you get rid of the taskbar and the KDE menu? I
> happen to find the taskbar rather necessary sometimes, I've encountered
> a few apps that are not accessible via Alt-Tab if they have a dialog box
> open, yet are accessible by clicking on their tile on the taskbar ...

I did not come accross such apps (yet). As to getting rid of the taskbar, I
simply right-click on it's left hinge and chose "remove". I suppose it's
still there somewhere eating a few CPU cycles but it frees my kicker. I slide
the kde menu to the right part of my kicker, I'd say the "technical side"
with desktops, file managers, keyboard, power and clock.

Thierry