[kde-linux] KDE and Gnome running simultaneously?

Jim Philips briarpatchkid at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 20 00:16:11 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 19:57, pyrenaien at gmx.de wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was deeply surprised when I realized that my KDE is apparently running on
> top of Gnome. What's this good for? I have OpenSUSE 10.0 and I am using KDE
> for the session. Nevertheless, /opt/gnome/sbin/gdm is running, and
> evolution is preloaded, a gnome mail program. Then I killed gdm as root for
> testing reasons, and afterwards the system was not able to log off - I got
> a black screen. How can I get my system to just use KDE? I can't easily
> uninstall Gnome because KDE uses some of its programs.

Slackware? Kubuntu? SuSe used to be a KDE-only operation. Then they decided
they had to accommodate Gnome. The two distros I mention are the only ones
out of the majors that seem to leave you a KDE-only option. But I'm sure
people on this list know of others. With Slackware, you can't install
anything Gnome unless you make an extra effort.