[kde-linux] Kmail and Japanese

David J Iannucci xqryvahkzy at punchcutter.ml1.net
Tue Sep 19 23:40:21 UTC 2006

I've been trying to use Japanese in Kmail, and have been having bad
luck with the composer.  It seems to do one line of input reasonably
well, but goes "insane" after I hit enter to the next line.  I think
I've got my locale stuff set appropriately.  It's primarily just

  export LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8

and for the input method:

  export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
  export QT_IM_MODULE="xim"
  export QT_IM_SWITCHER="imsw-multi"
  export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'

The input method (Anthy) seems to be working fine.  You may note
that QT_IM_MODULE is set to xim rather than scim, but I found that
it didn't work right with the latter, and seems to work in most
applications with the former.

Can someone give me a clue what I might need to tweak to get this
to work?

Thanks,
Dave