[kde-linux] Kmail/Kontact, Imap, and SuSE 10.0: Imap doesn't leave messages on the ISP server

The Other sstubbs at shout.net
Mon Sep 18 14:50:19 UTC 2006

On Saturday 16 September 2006 09:30, JCA wrote:
>This is what imap is for.  If you have the option, switch to
>imap instead of pop.  Kmail handles Imap very well.

Hello John,All,

It was my understanding that Imap left mail on the ISP server until
you specifically deleted it off the server.  And it worked this way
for me until I migrated to SuSE 10.0.  (worked on Debian Sarge,
Mandrake 9.1)

Now with Kontact version 1.2.3, KDE Release 3.5.4 level "a" (also the
same problem with the KDE 3.4 I recently upgraded from), and SuSE
10.0;  this is what happens during a connection to the ISP:

IMAP connection to ... is broken.

My dialup connection to the ISP is still active.  The messages on the
ISP server automatically download to the home computer.  The
downloaded messages don't show up in the Inbox until you select Check
Mail In.  At that point the Local Inbox shows the downloaded messages
and the IMAP Inbox shows 0 messages.

What have I done wrong to allow this to happen?

My work-around is to create a Hold folder under the IMAP Account and
manually move the messages from the Local Inbox to this IMAP Hold
folder.  Then the messages stay on the ISP.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks John, All.
Stephen.