[kde-linux] Can't login via kde - hangs when "initializing peripherals"

David Scriven davidwriter at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 17 16:41:13 UTC 2006

No, this problem has nothing to do with the kernel
update - it preceeded that. In any case both fstab
and mtab show / as rw. The problem is fixed by a

mount -remount /dev/sda7 /

Note that this particular problem (/ becomes ro) only
occurs when you startx as root.

There is something really weird going on - I'm getting
to the point where a reinstall would be quicker than
trying to sort this out.