[kde-linux] Merging KMail mailboxes

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 09:08:25 UTC 2006

On 16.9.2006 22:39, John Andersen wrote:
> On Saturday 16 September 2006 09:30, JCA wrote:
> >  I have two KMail mailboxes, on two different machines,
>
> You should not pop the same sources from different machines
> UNLESS one machine leaves the mail on the server and
> lets the other machine remove it.  Even then, if the machine
> that removes the mail gets there first the one that leaves
> it will miss messages.
>
> This is what imap is for.  If you have the option, switch to
> imap instead of pop.  Kmail handles Imap very well.
>
> As for consolidation, the best bet is to stop using two
> machines, but if you can't do that then set one to
> leave the mail there.  As to getting the contents of the
> two machines to match, I know of no automated method.

Leaving the messages on server may not solve the issue. For example GMail
marks each downloaded message, no matter if it is left on the server. This
disables any further download of the same message.

As for if there is a way to merge the two mailboxes... why don't you try to
simply copy one of the mailboxes on top of the other, and then issue
Folder -> Remove Duplicate Messages on each folder? This sounds a little too
brute, but I think it might work. You might need to delete the index files in
kmail's mail folder to force it to refresh all the contents.

I f there were no overlapping messages, moving them together works pretty
good - I do this in order to allow mutt and kmail to coexist in the same
mailbox.

--
Blade hails you...

Born from silence, silence full of it