[kde-linux] The /tmp folder and its contents - what can I delete

Dale dalek at exceedtech.net
Fri Oct 27 05:43:52 UTC 2006

Aphofis.com - Network Operations Centre wrote:
> My /tmp directory is growing with various logs and contains many other
> files - Ordinarily I would have NO hesitation in periodically deleting
> the contents of most /tmp directories
> however as I relatively new to Linux I am concerned if this will cause
> problems. I ask the same question about the /var/tmp directory which
> grows and grows with significant impact to the amount of space its
> taking up. There are a massive number of sub directories below
> /var/tmp as well as an abundant number of files in that directory.
>
> I am using KDE 3.5.1 Level "a" and my distro is SUSE Linux 10.1
> Scott Couston
> Nework Operations Centre - Aphofis.com

Just as a start here.  Make sure no one disagrees before doing this.
This is my directory listing:

> root at smoker / # ls -al /var/tmp/
> total 1
> drwxrwxrwt  9 root root    232 Oct 27 00:36 .
> drwxr-xr-x 12 root root    312 Sep 11 18:53 ..
> drwxr-xr-x  3 root root    104 Oct 15 23:20 13328
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root     48 Oct 26 05:38 binpkgs
> drwxrwsr-x 18 root portage 808 Oct 26 05:38 ccache
> drwx------  2 root root    248 Oct 21 23:52 f-prot
> drwx------  8 dale users   256 Oct 26 06:54 kdecache-dale
> drwx------  4 root root    152 Oct 26 05:36 kdecache-root
> drwxrwxr-x  3 root portage  80 Oct 26 05:38 portage
> root at smoker / #

If you logout of KDE, you can safely remove the kdecache-* files.  Do
NOT be logged in when you do that.  I have deleted those before with no
problems, that I have noticed anyway.  It does recreate them though when
you log into KDE.  Won't save much for long.

f-prot, if you use it, is where the virus definitions are stored.  These
are fairly small and actually needed.

ccache, if you use ccache, is to help save time when compiling.  If you
use a precompiled distro, like Redhat or something, then you likely
don't have this.

portage, you shouldn't have unless you use Gentoo or one of its sisters.

What directories do you have and which ones do you want to remove?

Dale

:-)  :-)