[kde-linux] hd partitions don't appear in storage media folder

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Oct 24 12:06:58 UTC 2006

Boyan Tabakov wrote:
> On 24.10.2006 00:17, Petrica Gasca wrote:
>> John Andersen wrote:

>>> This is as intended.
>>> Its that way in every distro I've seen.
>> Well, that is really interesting.  I have my hard disk partitions (all
>> 19 of them) and I don't know what I did to have them.  I feel just the
>> opposite way, I would like to get rid of them and just have my CD, 2
>> floppies, and my ZIP.
>
> Sorry, but I didn't understand where exactly do you have them. In the /media
> directory or the media:/ location. These are quite different things.
> /media is a directory, usually on the root file system, that by default
> contains the mount points for optical/removable devices (CD-ROMs, DVDs etc.)
>
> media:/, typed in the konqueror's address bar is a location that shows all the
> systems storage devices, that are connected. These are can be mounted from
> there (if propper configuration is done) and can be accessed.
>
> So where exactly do you see all the partitions? If it is in media:/ it is
> quite right to see all of them.

The directory which you have on your distro: "/media" (which is easily
confused with: "system:/media" or "media:/" -- and was by me) is
installation dependent (I have: "/mnt" instead).  You will not find your
hard disk partitions there because they are not mounted there.

So, I still want to clean up my: "media:/" directory since I have no
idea which hard disk partitions are which and would never access them as
partitions.

--
JRT