[kde-linux] hd partitions don't appear in storage media folder

Petrica Gasca petricagasca at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 24 11:45:08 UTC 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: Boyan Tabakov <blade.alslayer at gmail.com>
To: kde-linux at kde.org
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 11:51:22 AM
Subject: Re: [kde-linux] hd partitions don't appear in storage media folder

On 24.10.2006 00:17, Petrica Gasca wrote:
> John Andersen wrote:
> > On Saturday 21 October 2006 12:20, Petrica Gasca wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a very annoying problem with KDE 3.5.5, as when I acess the
> >> Storage Media folder I see only the devices (eg: USB key, CD-ROM etc)
> >> but not the actual hard-disk partitions.
> >
> > This is as intended.
> > Its that way in every distro I've seen.
>
> Well, that is really interesting.  I have my hard disk partitions (all
> 19 of them) and I don't know what I did to have them.  I feel just the
> opposite way, I would like to get rid of them and just have my CD, 2
> floppies, and my ZIP.

Sorry, but I didn't understand where exactly do you have them. In the /media
directory or the media:/ location. These are quite different things.
/media is a directory, usually on the root file system, that by default
contains the mount points for optical/removable devices (CD-ROMs, DVDs etc.)

media:/, typed in the konqueror's address bar is a location that shows all the
systems storage devices, that are connected. These are can be mounted from
there (if propper configuration is done) and can be accessed.

So where exactly do you see all the partitions? If it is in media:/ it is
quite right to see all of them.

see all the partitions in the /media folder as supposed. I had to add
them manually in /etc/fstab, but they get mounted at boot time, and if
I navigate with a file browser (konqueror, krusader etc) I see them all
right.
I don't see them when I click the "Storage Media" from konqueror (and I have in the address bar indeed the media:/ URL).
That's where I would like them to appear and they don't.