[kde-linux] hd partitions don't appear in storage media folder

John Andersen jsa at pen.homeip.net
Sat Oct 21 23:29:20 UTC 2006

On Saturday 21 October 2006 12:20, Petrica Gasca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a very annoying problem with KDE 3.5.5, as when I acess the Storage
> Media folder I see only the devices (eg: USB key, CD-ROM etc) but not the
> actual hard-disk partitions.

This is as intended.
Its that way in every distro I've seen.

Kong does not deal with partitions in linux after install.  You deal with
mount points and file systems.
You want Kdiskfree to see partitions and where they are mounted.

> The OS is a classic Debian Etch installation

How is it possible to use the word "Classic" in relation to Etch?
it hasn't even been released yet, let alone have any characteristics
that could be called "classic"

> When I boot up with KNOPPIX
> live CD (5.0.1) it all appears where it should be and the fstab file on
> both systems look the same.

Live CDs are a bastardized installation, and can't be used as a
basis for determining standard behavior.