[kde-linux] OCR for linux

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Wed Oct 11 16:48:35 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 17:00, Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 October 2006 23:45, Eugene Nine wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 October 2006 13:14, Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > I googled briefly for optical character recognition and the choice was
> > > quite big. Can anyone give me somje advice for a simple free (and easy
> > > to install) OCR program for use with kde linux (kde 3.4.0, Suse 9.1)
> >
> > There is an app called kooka which is included with KDE and it requires
> > gocr.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> I couldn't find a rpm for Suse 9.1 (only for later versions) but
> sourceforge has the source gocr-0.41.tar.gz. I may try to install that.
>
> Perry

(Follow up)
Installation was easy but gocr gave me the following result:
/*
L'_ssn__ic_tiun l_i1ite puur 1_ 4_c_litė de 1_ _-_ie d_ns les EMS, et le druit _ 1_
di_gnitė des persunnes __gėes. E11e nr_gc_nise _n __entre d_nfnrt_c_tinn et pr_ne 1e
*/
That was ripped off from a pdf file (enlarged to +-80 char on a screenwidth) using ksnapshot (.png) and converted by the Gimp to .ppm.
Furthermore the font had serif (I tried this file because I want to quote and reply to it )

Just out of curiosity I may try to find out under what circumstances gocr really works.

Any comments, list?

Cheers 		Perry

--
BOFH excuse #78: Yes, yes, its called a design limitation