[kde-linux] login in and out

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos at writeme.com
Sun Oct 8 23:48:06 UTC 2006

Dear All

I  have just reinstalled Mandriva 2006,  but I am not sure which version of KDE this includes, I think it is 3.4.  During installation I set up this non duel boot computer to defalut to linux after ten seconds and then to automatically log into KDE the only user.  It worked OK.

I got too bold and adventurous from here on.

I wanted to change the "End Sessions" options to include an icon login for root and the user (whereby I would have clicked an Icon for either and then entered a password) and buttons to reboot and shutdown.  I fiddled and made things worse.  Now the only "End Sessions" option I am presented with is to "End Current Session" or "Cancel".

But worse, now when I restart I do not get automatically logged as a a user and I have to enter the user and password.

I have tried to retrace my steps in Control Center, KDE's Session Manager and Login Manager.  I have read the KDE Session Manager help file and the KDE Login Manager Help file.  The later makes references to options on the Users tab which I cannot find.

"You may disable the user list in kdm entirely in the Show Users section. You can choose from:
Only show users you have specifically enabled.......
Not hidden.............."

These sound relevent but I cannot find this section and options on the User tab.  However at this tab I did press defaults.  Though this did not help.

Any help appreciated

Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)