[kde-linux] Lost shutdown and restart button from user, kde session

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Nov 19 05:32:06 UTC 2006

Alan Rubin wrote:
> Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>
>
>> Hmm, since it works as root:
>> check the permissions of the control pipe
>> here on my system it is /var/run/xdmctl/xdmctl-:0
>>
>> Should be owned user:root when logged in as "user"
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Kevin
>
> Thanks Kevin!
>
> In fact /var/run/xdmctl/xdmctl-:0 was user:root
>
> but curiously the permissions for /var were  rwx------
>
> I have changed them to rwxr-xr-x and I have the buttons back.

I've had a KDE upgrade or two this year that mangled permissions. To be
precise, after upgrades to cdrdao, the ownership and permissions become
0775 root:root when they were originally 4170 root:cdrom (or whatever
way k3b says they're supposed to be set up to run with root privileges.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community