[kde-linux] No sound-input after update to KDE 3.5.5

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 20:40:27 UTC 2006

On 14.11.2006 23:36, Michael Eschweiler wrote:
> Hi there,
> yesterday I updated my system (SuSE 9.3) from KDE 3.5.4 to KDE 3.5.5. Since
> then as a normal user I am not able to record from an input device (line-in
> or microphone) nor use internet telephony (I can hear the counterpart but
> he doesn't hear me). As root it still works. I controlled the permissions
> of /dev/dsp*, but they are still the same as before. What's wrong and what
> can I do, so that the sound system works correctly?
> Thanks in advance,
> Michael

Are your channels displayed correctly in KMix? Are the appropriate channels
selected for recording (red light lit on the Input tab)? Play around with the
volume sliders too. If it is affecting only one user, it is clearly a
configuration problem. You can try resetting your KMix settings if the other
steps don't show anything... just delete (or move to a backup location) KMix
configuration files in ~/.kde/share/config.

--
Blade hails you...

A girl in the rain swearing to her father's name
                                     --Nightwish