[kde-linux] Upgrade/Deployment KDE 3.4 -> 3.5.2

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu May 18 00:43:01 UTC 2006

Watkins, Michael wrote:
> 3.4 comes with SuSE 9.3.
> I have users that want 3.5.2, naturally.
> I downloaded the rpms from Novell and KDE. After some tweaking got em
> all installed. I keep getting sigint errors from both installations.
>
> I tried using Konstructor from KDE and got 3.5.2 working for the one
> user that installed it. Even after opening up permissions on the
> installation directory (/opt/kde_3.5.2 btw) and editing every config
> file I can think of, 3.5.2 won't run for other users. I get fvvwm2
> instead (unusual in and of itself).
>
> So I've rebuilt the machine again.
> What do I have to do to deploy this?
> What rpms do I need and what config files should I edit?

You need to install KDE as root if you want all users to be able to use it.

There are other issues.  KDM executes the shell script:
"$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xsession" which should call:
"#KDEDIR/bin/startkde".  The process that the Xsession script uses is a
bit complex.  If looks for 'desktop' files in the directories listed
under: "SessionsDirs=" in the: "$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/kdmrc" file.
It reads all of these but only uses the ones where they point to a valid
executable.

So, the first thing which I would check is the ownership and permissions
for: "$KDEDIR/bin/startkde".  It should be root:root:755.

--
JRT