[kde-linux] kde-linux Digest, Vol 38, Issue 17

waz wazungy2 at telus.net
Tue May 16 17:48:55 UTC 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 22:48, waz wrote:
>> Good day,
>>
>> I have several hundred email items in my inbox and in my sent mail folders
>> that I would like to archive.
>> I would like to be able to access these files by  recipient, sender, date,
>> subject much like the KMail does normally with files in the inbox,
>> sent-mail and such. I do not find the filenames the individual files to be
>> especially informative being just a string of numbers and characters.
>>
>> I would be happy to just copy the .mail/inbox and .mail/sent-mail
>> directories provided I could eventually re-import them into KMail or other
>> suitable reader and sort by name/subject/date... as mentioned above.
>>
>> The ability to "Un-import" the files once any backup material had been
>> referenced would be ideal as I do not need my mail reader to become filled
>> with old messages.

>As Andrew already said, the easiest way is to create a new folder.
>To be more precise, create a new folder and choose MBOX as the folder's
>storage format. mbox storage means all mails of the folder are in one single
>file.

>This allows you to move the file somewhere else (of course while KMail is not
>running) and copy back into KMail's mail directory (again while KMail is not
>running) when ever you need it again.

>You can also process the file with shell tools, for example grep and mbox can
>usually imported into any other mail client as well if necessary.

>Cheers,
>Kevin

I got this stunningly right on my second try!!!
 The first time I tried manually transfering files into a new KMail folder, I
could see no messages when I looked into that folder from within KMail.
I will have to suspect I copied sent mails into an inbox or had the wrong
filetype (Mialdir/Mbox).

Thanks, Andrew,
Thanks Kevin.

Waz