[kde-linux] Science-centric distro with KDE?

Andrew Walbran qwandor at gmail.com
Mon May 15 21:20:51 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 16 May 2006 4:34 am, Jeff Eklund wrote:
> (If this question doesn't belong here, scold me and pass me on)
>
> Hi!
> I am trying to introduce GNU/Linux and KDE into my school and I have
> started showing some of the science teachers some of the science
> applications that KDE offer, namely Kstars and Kalzium. They were mighty
> impressed but not really comfortable with the idea of not running Windows.
> I said I'd try to look for a live distro which they could test out and
> evaluate some of the applications.
> So, I'm now looking for a live distro with KDE, focused around science,
> meaning having alot of up-to-date science packages preinstalled. I want my
> teachers to be abe to just pop that CD into one of their computers and try
> the software out or possibly even use it in class.
>
> So, has anyone got any ideas for me? I wasn't able to find anything useful
> when searching the net.
I haven't tried it myself, but it may be worth looking into Edubuntu. It does
include kde-edu, but is unfortunately GNOME-based and seems to be aimed more
at primary schools. Skolelinux may also be worth investigating.

Other useful programs for science are Celestia (astronomy program with nice
graphics) and Ktechlab (digital and analogue electronics simulation,
including PIC microcontrollers).

You may also want to look at SchoolForge (http://www.schoolforge.org.uk/).

--
Andrew Walbran