[kde-linux] Science-centric distro with KDE?

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Mon May 15 17:02:03 UTC 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 18.34, Jeff Eklund wrote:
> (If this question doesn't belong here, scold me and pass me on)
>
> Hi!
> I am trying to introduce GNU/Linux and KDE into my school and I have
> started showing some of the science teachers some of the science
> applications that KDE offer, namely Kstars and Kalzium. They were mighty
> impressed but not really comfortable with the idea of not running Windows.
> I said I'd try to look for a live distro which they could test out and
> evaluate some of the applications.
> So, I'm now looking for a live distro with KDE, focused around science,
> meaning having alot of up-to-date science packages preinstalled. I want my
> teachers to be abe to just pop that CD into one of their computers and try
> the software out or possibly even use it in class.
>
> So, has anyone got any ideas for me? I wasn't able to find anything useful
> when searching the net.
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I don't know any Science-centric distro, but my experience with Mepis was
good: hardware identification was good, multimedia software works (so you get
a working Xine or xmms) and, as far as I remember, both Kstars and Kalzium
were there.

Depending on your hardware, you might try installing a distribution on an
usb-stick and customize it to suit your needs.

Thierry

--
Stupidity is like a fractal; universal and infinitely repetitive.