[kde-linux] kate plugins and external commands not working

Bram Schoenmakers bramschoenmakers at kde.nl
Fri May 5 11:19:49 UTC 2006

Op vrijdag 05 mei 2006 07:06, schreef Donatas G.:
> I have installed a kate-plugins package, since I would like to use kate
> addons, such as html-tidy etc. But I cannot find those scripts under Tools
> menu, anywhere actually, though the actual .sh and .desktop files are in
> place. Do I have to do something else to get those?
>
> I am using KDE 3.5.2 on Kubuntu.

I was not able to find the KDE scripts submenu myself. :( I'm confused.

> One more thing: tried to add custom external command to External tools
> menu.
>
> In Kate Configuration section External tools added a script
>
> Label: SEBtoseb
> Script: sed s/SEB/seb/g %URL
> Executable: sed
>
> but it does not work. Am I doing something wrong?

You don't read the contents of the file and put the modified contents back.
Did you already check the html-tidy.sh script, it's a nice example of how it
should work. Get the contents with DCOP, run sed on it and put it back again
in Kate with DCOP.

And for the more general case, this might be interesting as well:
http://www.kate-editor.org/article/dcop_scripting_the_kate_application

> sed is in my path, "sed 's/SEB/seb/g' file.txt" in command line works fine
>
> (tried also %filename and %directory/%filename instead of %URL, tried to
> include  s/SEB/seb/g into single quotes:  's/SEB/seb/g' )

Kind regards,

--
Bram Schoenmakers
KDE Netherlands (www.kde.nl)