[kde-linux] Kontact/KMail Behaviour Differences

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Fri Mar 24 18:08:52 UTC 2006


On Friday 24 March 2006 04:52, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:
> On 23 Mar 2006, at 09:44 , Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 March 2006 15:27, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:
> >> (snip)
> >> Why does KMail not remove all Deleted mail items on exit when it
> >> is invoked
> >
> > as part of Kontact?
>
> This occurs when KMail is invoked through the Kontact navigation panel.
I also access KMail  through the Kontact navigation panel and observe 
different behaviour.
>
(snip)
>
> Currently, I have seven systems from which I routinely read mail.
> In the early Nineties, I adopted Pine as my standard Mail User Agent
> as it allowed me to keep the mail on the IMAP server.  This kept all
> mail in a single location and accessible from whatever system I was
> using at the time.
Only one of my computer is set to delete automatically the mail from the 
server, this way I can save in a central place some interresting mails. 
Perhaps sometime I would need to leave the mail on the server and only delete 
it manually.
(snip)
> The only reason that I'm attempting to use KMail is that I like the
> way that it handles HTML mail.  Initially, it displays the raw HTML
> as does Pine.  With KMail, I have the option to display the HTML
> content after I examine the raw text.  Pine doesn't provide this
> capability.
(snip)
> The second feature of KMail's HTML handling is that it divides the
> HTML content display into two parts:  the basic textual part and the
> image part. 
I appreciate that behaviour.
> As an aside, my favourite tool for generating web 
> content is vi and, as a result, I know what "good" HTML looks like.
> The "crap" generated by most Microsoft and Windows-based tools is
> sometimes too hard to read.  I like the fact that  I can use KMail to
> "cleanup" and display the text without downloading any additional
> content.
You mean when you open a HTML message that contains links.
I really dislike the fact that someone can be informed this way that you 
opened the message but I hope to find a more convenient way than trying to 
spot that from the raw HTML.
With my previous gateway I could just unplug KInternet. Since the device 
stopped working and was changed Kinternet does not work and I miss the "view 
data rate" window (the graph remains flat even when I download)
After unsuccesful attemps to find help through google, I posted about that but 
got no answer.
>
> I delete messages.  I don't move them to the trash.
OK, if you don't forget to press the shift key along with the delete you don't 
have to empty the trashcan. Those are local actions and I can see from your 
reply that this is not pertinent to your original posting (it wasn't clear to 
me then)
When you say :
> Why does KMail not remove all Deleted mail items on exit when it is  
> invoked as part of Kontact?
you means from the server.

Sorry I cannot help you there. I was also expecting to learn something.

On hollidays I access my mailbox from hotels or internet caf├ęs through 
internet explorer, connecting directly to my mailbox and having the option to 
remove the deleted mail from the server (don't know how to read HTML there).
I don't know how to get the same behaviour from home through KMail.
In order to find out I will have to experiment  with checking the option:
				 "Leave fetched messages on the server"
and see if KMail then offers a possibility to delete some mails from the 
server; less it deletes all the selected ones on exit automatically.
Well, I will learn someday, somehow, or I won't.   ;-)

Greetings		Perry




More information about the kde-linux mailing list