[kde-linux] How to install Flash Player?

Jim Osborn jimo at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 23 21:20:28 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at  5:08:34AM +0000, Pollywog wrote:
> I installed the flash plugin today and told the installer to put it
> in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/

I tried the installer, after reading your note, and found it checks
for the "glibc version" by calling iconv, and taking the version
of iconv as the glibc version.  Since I'm using the ancient glibc 2.2.4,
I use a separate iconv in /usr/local/bin, which is v1.9.1, the
latest and greatest.  It's a goofy test process, but I think the
bottom line is that Flash 7 won't play nicely with the iconv functions
built into older glibcs.

So, unless I can think of a way to fool Flash into using
/usr/local/bin/iconv, it's probably useless to me until I can upgrade
my glibc.

> I then went to the Plugins module in Konqueror and added the path
> to the plugin and had Konqueror scan for plugins and it found the
> flash plugin and other plugins.

I assume you tested the installation by actually visiting a Flash site,
not just seeing the plugin in the Konqueror setup list?

> I did not have to adjust ownerships or permissions at all.

The installer does the permissions adjustment for you as one of its
final steps.

Cheers,

Jim