[kde-linux] Kontact/KMail Behaviour Differences

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 23 14:27:58 UTC 2006

I have several SuSE Linux 10.0 systems with KDE 3.4.2 Level "b"
installed.  I have been using Pine to read mail for close to 15 years
but decided to give KMail a try.  I believe I have KMail configured
so that it behaves similarly to Pine.  Deleting mail from the IMAP
server is one area where there seems to be a wee problem.

Pine has an eXpunge command that immediately removes all messages
flagged as Deleted from the mailbox.  There doesn't seem to be an
equivalent in KMail.  On exit, Pine prompts for the disposition of
messages flagged as Deleted in the mailbox.  I normally select
eXpunge.  KMail is configured to remove all Deleted messages when I
quit KMail.

Yesterday I was working on importing Pine's mail addresses into
Kaddressbook using Kontact.  It started KMail as a subprocess.  I
read and deleted mail while using Kontact.  Later I used Pine to read
mail and discovered that none of the mail that had been flagged as
Deleted had been removed.

Why does KMail not remove all Deleted mail items on exit when it is
invoked as part of Kontact?

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net