[kde-linux] Charsets and k3b - desperate!

Gerhard den Hollander gdenhollander at fugro-jason.com
Wed Mar 15 12:36:44 UTC 2006

* Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> (Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 12:02:25PM +0000)
> On Wednesday 15 March 2006 11:55, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I'm having problems with character sets and k3b.  Yesterday I needed to
> > burn a backup disk of some files which contained accented characters, and
> > k3b complained.  I used convmv to convert the files from ISO8859-15 to
> > utf8, and the backup completed.
> >
> > This morning I wanted to write a further disk of the same files, but I
> > can't get past being told that it finds an incorrectly encoded filename.
> >
> > I've tried setting kde to use utf8, and also tried setting it to use
> > ISO8859-15.  I can't understand why I could burn the disk last night, but
> > not this morning.  Can someone please tell me what I need to do to get
> > around this?
> >
> Correction - the disk burned last night contained all the data except the
> directory with those files.  I do need a backup, though, so the question
> still stands.

Not a solution to the k3b problem,
but you could make a tar archive of that dir, and burn the tar to CD,
then at least you'll have your backup.

Kind regards,
 --
Gerhard den Hollander                           Phone :+31-70.3.170.515
Global ICT manager                              Direct:+31-70.3.170.539

solely for the use of the addressee. This e-mail shall not be deemed binding
unless confirmed in writing. If you have received it by mistake, please let us
know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system; you may not copy this
message or disclose its contents to anyone. Please note that any views or
opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the company. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free. The sender therefore does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which
arise as a result of e-mail transmission.