[kde-linux] "Board Games" menu group missing (reposting)

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Mar 14 05:34:34 UTC 2006

David Baron wrote:
> There in all its glory in all logins but one. This is an older login and ended
> up with a mix of old and newer style menu items. Recently, "Board Games" was
> missing. Simply creating it, update-menus, restarting, et al, has no effect
> since if I create it, it is "local" and not drawing on the .desktop files for
> these games.
>
> How to fix?

Clean house in that user account's "~/.kde/share/applnk/" directory
tree.  You can start by renaming the "applnk" directory to "applnk.save"
and restarting that user.  This will create a new (but empty) "applnk"
directory.

If this fixes the problem, check and see if you have some missing menu
items.  If so, these will be apps that still use the old (non-XDG) menu
entries.  Just copy them over from the "applnk.save" directory making
new subdirectories as needed.

--
JRT