[kde-linux] OpenOffice2 integration

Bernt Christandl beb at MPA-Garching.MPG.DE
Mon Mar 13 09:16:21 UTC 2006

Hello James,

thank you very much for your answer to my question!

> Bernt Christandl wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > i've searched the archives, but obviously i'm the only one who
> > could not solve this :(
> >
> > In the past when I've installed versions of OOo1 this installation
> > "automagically" was known to my KDE without me doing anything special.
> >
> > Now with OOo202 the install-"package" does "only" include several rpms,
> > which i could install and then use without problems.
> >
> > But this is no longer automatically known to my KDE (3.5.1).
> > I know how to edit KMenu, but now a collegue wants to
> > know what he should do that KMail opens  OOo2-writer, if he clicks
> > on such an attachment to his mail, which he claims worked for OOo1.
> >
> > I've seen the desktop-integration subdir, but we have a "hand-made"
> > debian-based linux. From the "suse"-rpm i took the kde-icons and mimelnk
> > and copied them to our kde. But that was not enough.
> >
> > What did i miss?
>
> Which package in the "desktop-integration" subdirectory did you install?
> IIUC, you should install ONLY ONE of these RPM packages.

Yes, i did install only one.

> This should work.  If you don't have Mandriva, Red-Hat, or SuSE, then
> install FreeDeskTop.

I've extracted the SuSE-rpm and copied the KDE-part to
my special KDEDIR. For the very few other files/links i could not find
any corresponding place in our system.

> A possible problem might occur if you have installed KDE from source in
> its own directory (e.g. KDEDIR=/usr/kde).  Is this the case?

Yes, we have installed KDE from source into its own directory.
About what "possible problem" are you writing?

> IIUC, KMail does not have its own MIME type associations, but rather
> uses what you have set up for Konqueror.  So, just set up the file
> association in the usual manner.

I'm sorry, what is the "usual manner"?
We have our "normal" mime.types, but i've never touched them when i installed
a new KDE or OpenOffice version and nevertheless in the past KMail
did know about *.swx and such...
And i did not find any of these topics neither in the KDE-install-guide
nor in the OpenOffice-Setup-Guide (which does not yet seem to apply
for version 2)

With regards,

Bernt Christandl