[kde-linux] Links, Konqueror copy operations and Konsole cp

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 05:27:39 UTC 2006

At the Konsole, if ~/foo is a link to regular file ~/boo and I do:

cp coo foo

where coo is a regular file, foo does not change, but boo is overwritten. This
is because of the nature of a symlink -- transparent redirect to its target.
Konsole (bash) opens the target of the link and overwrites it with the source
contents.

But in Konqueror, if I drag-drop regular file ~/a/foo to ~/b when there exists
~/b/foo which is a symlink to regular file ~/b/boo, Konqueror asks me if I
want to overwrite and if I say yes it overwrites the link ~/b/foo, not the
target of the link ~/b/boo.

Apparently Konqueror does rm first then cp.

But the way that Konqueror treats links is not consistent. Because, if I
drag-drop regular file ~/a/foo to ~/b when there exists ~/b/foo which is a
symlink to ~/a/foo itself, Konqueror throws up an error saying it cannot
overwrite the file with itself.

In this case, Konqueror does not do an rm before cp, but like Konsole (bash)
it tries to open the target of the link and overwrite it, thereby causing an
error.

Can I open a bug on this inconsistent behaviour?

--

Tux #395953 resides at http://samvit.org
playing with KDE 3.51 on SUSE Linux 10.0