[kde-linux] KDE 3.5.3 Printing Problem

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Thu Jun 8 06:58:23 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 18:48, William Bradley wrote:
> Thomas Taylor wrote:
> > Hi Bill:
> >
> > Some things are best done from command line and this is one of them.
> >
> > Either boot into a command line or from a terminal (as root) run
> > system-config-printer and setup the printer from there.  Lexmark Optra Ep
> > was on the list of supported printers there.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Tom
>
> Hi Tom, You are talking to a bit of a neophyte here on the above. I can
> get to the command line as root, but from there I'm a bit lost.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill.

Okay, from the command line (as root) type "system-config-printer" (without
the quotes).  This will open the printer setup dialogs.  You should be able
to answer most of the questions.  If you have any questions about that send
us another message.

From your messages, I will assume you have probably only used windows
previously, in which case you've always been in a gui environment.

The linux "root" user (or the super-user) is what the "administrator" is in
windows, the user who can cause lots of trouble and problems if they don't
know exactly what they are doing.

Tom

P.S. - I notice you're from Canada.  What part?  I used to have farm property
back in Ontario and have made several trips up to British Columbia.

--
Tom Taylor
Linux user #263467