[kde-linux] KDE 3.5.3 Printing Problem

William Bradley wbradley at w3connex.ca
Wed Jun 7 16:31:55 UTC 2006

History:

My printer is a Lexmark Optra EP "postscript" printer, on Kubuntu Dapper
(6.10) and KDE 3.5.3. This postscript printer has worked successfully on
two or three editions of Mandrake, two or three editions of Suse and is
currently working fine on Suse 10. Finally it also worked on Libranet
and also worked on Kubuntu until I upgraded to "Breezy (5.10)". It then
began printing gibberish on one line at the top of each page. I looked
in Kubuntu archives and there seemed to be some sort of a problem but I
let it go as Dapper (6.10)was close to being released.

Current:

A few days ago I updated to Kubuntu Dapper (6.10) with KDE 3.53 and went
to install the printer, without any success at all.

1. When trying to install as a user and chose the "Optra EP" driver, it
told me that it was not there or I did not have permission to install it.
2. Repeated the above and chose "Postscript Printer" and it gave the
same answer as the above in "1".
3. Repeated the above as the "Administrator" and got the same answers.
4. Then I repeated as the "Administrator" and tried the "Optra EP
Postscript" driver and it loaded OK. "Test" page printed as gibberish on
one line across the top of each page. This driver works fine on Suse 10.
5. Tried a regular document after "4" above and got the same result.

So now I am in the position of writing stuff that I want to print on the
Suse machine or Windows. Fortunately I am retired and do not have to
print much anymore but it is a frustration that I would like to solve.

If anyone can help me with the above I would really appreciate it.

Thank  you,

Bill.