[kde-linux] KDE desktop <--> console

John Layt john at layt.net
Sat Jul 29 21:46:03 UTC 2006

On Sunday 30 July 2006 09:30, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> Currently the KDE desktop is loaded by default in my Debian 3.1
> environment and everything works well.
>
> However, there are occasions when I need to work from the
> command-line (e.g. for new installs that might clash with existing
> loaded files).
>
> I have found that "Ctrl+Alt+F1" gets me to the console.  But how do I
> get back to the KDE desktop?
>
> Felix Karpfen

Depending on your distro, you may have several virtual consoles assigned to
the keys Ctrl-Alt-F1 to Ctrl-Alt-F6, with Ctrl-Alt-F7 always being the
virtual console from which KDM/X11 has been launched.  Very handy if you are
switching between users when X is down.

Or you could try running Konsole which gives you a console within KDE with all
the configurability you'd expect from a KDE app, it even has tabbed sessions.

Cheers!

John.