[kde-linux] kdm login with alternate xorg.conf file

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Jul 25 01:58:24 UTC 2006

I'm frustrated hunting down docs on this in SuSE 10.0 with KDE 3.4.2. e.g.

#man kdm
No manual entry for kdm
#man xinitrc
No manual entry for xinitrc
#man xinit
No manual entry for xini
#man startx
No manual entry for startx
#man xorg.conf
No manual entry for xorg.conf

likewise for .xinitrc & .xserverrc.  :-(

man does work, as 'man man' does bring up a man page for man. Is there
some extra man page rpm I need to install to have this information
available in SuSE?

I did find man pages on the web for xinit & xinitrc, but they include no
examples on point. Google's hits so far are just not on target.

I made some headway. I found from
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/X11R6.9.0/doc/html/xorg.conf.5.html
that I can put export XORGCONFIG=<configfile> in ~/.profile and get the
desired result if I use startx, but it doesn't work in KDE/KDM for
switch user -> start new session. If I try to switch session from the
initial session on tty7, the tty8 session is not listed, and in the tty8
session, there is no switch user menu option.

What do I need to change so that it works in KDE/KDM? Does KDM read the
personal startup options for all users listed in its login menu when it
starts? Can the login manager be restarted without killing the existing
session on tty7?

TIA
--
"If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in
your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409