[kde-linux] Why are taskbar icons sometimes a big X?

Chris Peterman c.peterman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 15:53:42 UTC 2006

On Saturday 15 July 2006 01:04, Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I have some programs that have perfectly good icons on the desktop
> but when I open them, the icon in the task bar box is a large X that
> looks hand drawn.
>
> A good case in point is Thunderbird which has a lovely icon of an
> envelope in version 1.5.0.4 that appears in the desktop boxes as a big
> hand drawn X.
>
> By taskbar I mean the boxes for each desktop that typically show the
> program icon.  Please correct my nomenclature so I can call it correctly.
>
> How can I get the normal desktop icon to display there like other apps?
>
> Larry

Only thing I can think of is that the icons you want to use don't have
versions in the size that is needed.

As an example, take a look in your ~/.icons (thats where they are put for like
GNOME and XFCE, and KDE also looks there for them) and look in one of the
theme folders, you will see a bunch of folders named 12x12, 64x64, etc, which
are all the sizes that the icons may be needed in. Now if you can get your
hands on a SVG version of the icon, KDE should take care of the resize by
itself (SHOULD, I don't know how well SVG Icon Support is in KDE or anything
else for that matter). Otherwise just make a copy of the icon in those pixel
sizes (any image program should be able to handle it).

I hope that made sense :D

--
~ Chris "Kyral" Peterman
Computer Science Undergraduate