[kde-linux] could not find mime type

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 30 18:58:43 UTC 2006

On Monday 30 Jan 2006 18:45, waz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope someone can help with this sudden problem I am having.
>
> I was trying to get Konqueror to play ogg files. It would ask if I
> wanted to open them in KWrite when I clicked a link to an ogg file on
> the internet. I tried to add an entry for ogg in the
> settings/configure Konqueror/file associations. I succeeded to a
> degree.
> Kaffine now plays the ogg files but I get a "Sorry window "
> Could not find mime type
> application/octet-stream
>
> This popped up when I openned kmail also. I have never seen these
> before but a quick search on google seems to indicate it can cripple
> some people's system. There is so much to sift through (hits) that I
> thought I would rather ask here than try to figure it all out myself
> (yes, I'm a green semi-newbie).
>
> Hopefully I'll be able to read any replies I get.

Are you sure that you haven't still got an association, although
corrupted?  Go back to File Associations and type ogg into the 'find'
panel.  That should bring up application > ogg.  Filename patters
should say *.ogg and *.OGG.  Description is Ogg Multimedia.  You will
probably find that you have a wrong application in the large box.
Delete it.  Add in any player applications that you have in your menu,
and use the up/down buttons to put your favourite one at the top.

HTH