[kde-linux] kde kills background jobs on exit

Rod Butcher rbutcher at hyenainternet.com
Fri Jan 20 16:54:35 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 07:41 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Rod Butcher wrote:
> > Rex Dieter wrote:

> >> Use nohup to start the background process.
>
> > Thanks, but isn't this overkill (pun intentional) ? What if I really do
> > want to hangup the program ? To me the real question is, why does kde
> > kill it, if that's what is indeed happening.
>
> IMO, kde's behavior is proper.  You kill a process' parent shell, it kills
> all sibling processes.  Not sure how/why gnome is different.
>
> If you don't want that, then that's exactly what nohup is for: (from it's
> info page):
> `nohup' runs the given COMMAND with hangup signals ignored, so that the
> command can continue running in the background after you log out.

nohup looks to me more like a service - which will continue running
after the user who started it has logged of the machine (I just tested
this). That's not what I want.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see KDE as any kind of parent shell
nor X. To me X and KDE  are just tools to allow the user who has already
logged on to operate the machine in graphical mode within his security
restrictions. I see no difference to a job started from a virtual
console, an X terminal or the KDE menu - they're jobs running under that
userid. To me the concept of "logging on" to X/KDE is a whole different
thing to logging on to a running Linux, it's a connection to a graphical
server. But I'm open to correction.
Rod